unit 1 module 11
careers and skills
useful words and phrases:
1. reflection 考慮， 深思
be lost in reflection 陷入沉思中
on reflection 經再三思考
2. be suited to 合適，適宜
1) suit to 使與……相適合
eg. a good teacher suits his lessons to the age of his students.
2) be suit to 適合，適宜
eg. do you think david is suited to teaching?
3. in reality 實際上，相當于in fact
eg. the salesman always appeared very confident, but in reality (in fact), he was a shy and nervous young man.(l11)
4. baggage/luggage 行李（不可數） a piece of baggage/luggage
5. waitress n. 女服務員 waiter n. 男服務員
6. support vt./n. 支持，支撐，贍養，供養
be in support of sb./sth 支援某人/某物
he has a large family to support. 他要養一大家子的人。
7. criticism n. 批評 criticize v. 批評，指責
8. appear vi. 看上去，顯得
everyone appears (to be) well prepared.
it appears to me that---據我看來---，似乎
eg. it appears to me that he lied.
9. thick-skinned adj. 厚臉皮的
10. they are also under huge pressure to appear young and beautiful.(l17)
under pressure 在壓力下
eg. jim doesn't work well under pressure.
11. they do not consider the stress and pressure that come with these jobs.(l24)
come with 伴隨…與發生
12. in contrast, some people find more unusual jobs that are better suited to their talents and interests.(l29)
in contrast 相比之下
13. …but they are as essential as water to our society. (l40)
be essential to / be essential for
eg. money is not essential to happiness.
14. …and cleaners who clear up our rubbish.(l44)
1) clear up 整理；完成；收拾
eg. would you clear up this room before our visitors arrive?
to clear up a misunderstanding
eg. i hope your troubles clear up soon.
eg. the weather has cleared up soon.
15. go about something 繼續做某事
eg. all the employees at the company are going about their business as usual despite the threat of bankruptcy.